Saturday, December 12, 2015

I Never Surrender

Woke up sometime after 1 p.m. today and read the comments.   I wanna thank you guys for your input.  Even before I read the comments from you experienced players i had come to a decision, but some of the comments made helped reinforce that decision to be quite honest. I have decided that FlushhDraw may be many things, but he has no quitter. he does not know the meaning of the word surrender.  I have often said many times that tenacity is one of my biggest attributes and I'll be damned if I'm going to let 1 horrendous session steer me away from what I really want to do.  With that said I am returning to the $10NL cash tables with my $180 bankroll, but with some definite changes being made.

Lightning is very correct when he basically said that the nitty reg  grinders is not the way to make money and he's absolutely correct it's not.  If you going to make money in this game you need looser tables.  During the mornings and early afternoons we're talking no limit tables that have a percentage seeing the flop as low as 17%.  Even when you hit big hands you hardly make anything on them and the only time you're going to make money is if two of those regs both happened to have monster hands.  The funny thing is that I have noticed over the last two days that during the evening and the later hours these tables really loosen up.  There are more players calling down with mediocre holdings and consequently with more players seeing the flop bigger pots to be won.  Therefore there will be a change in the schedule. Starting today December 12th I will be playing from 3 p.m. to 1 a.m.  10 hours is more than enough for a grind and pushing myself longer than I love you could very well be due to poor performance, poor choices, and poor decision making because quite frankly after 10 hours on the tables I'm starting to get tired and a  portion of the losses last night at least 4-5 buyins may have been from continuing to play when tired.

Pokerdogg pointed out that opening the range as i have is going to increase variance and he's right.  To be quite honest although it did show some early initial success I have never been totally comfortable with it.  You're talking to a lifetime TAG and to all of a sudden change that after 10 years is disconcerting at best.  The question is did I have initial success with that style.  Yes, I was up $80 but you have to remember $60 of that profit came from a single hand.  Overall that shows me that the looser style is not successful and I need to return to the poker player I really am.  If you want call me a nit so be it.  I don't feel that's the case, but I'm going back to my tight aggressive style that showed me success in tournaments over the years, success in limit cash games over the years and I can't for the life of me see any reason why it would not show me success at no limit cash tables.  It's possible I went too far in the opening range.  Yes I was taking the advice from the Sklnsky book, but raising any suited Broadway cards in early position was something I was never comfortable with.  I did it because that's the recommendation I saw, but after a certain amount of experience, you have to come to a point where you base your decisions not on what someone else says, no matter how experienced they are, but on your own experiences and your own successes not somebody else's.   I'm new to the No Limit cash scene and therefore felt that I should base things not on my own experiences and knowledge but on somebody else's.  I may be new to No Limit cash games but I need to base my decisions on my own knowledge and  experience and even if I fail at least I did it on my own merits.

I am going to restart my grind today, wiping out the stats that I had accumulated thus far because in my mind with two completely different styles results mixed cannot be a true representation of success or failure whichever it may be. 

I refigured my entire starting hand selection.  I am going to keep up the aggression as far as raising in position, but much more selective with what.  As far as bankroll management goes with multi-tabling I'm completely lost at this point.  I have seen so many different opinions from readers, from forums, from articles I don't even know where to begin. I have 18 buyins. Is it enough, I don't know.  What is enough, I don't know.   All I can do is a rough estimation and for my purposes I'll go with 30 buyins as the base.  Is it supposed to be 30, 50, 100, 300, I am so confused at this point by all of it I don't know so I guess this is just another point of trial and error for me.  I do know that if I do manage to be successful and am able to step up to $20NL ar some point it will be in on with a 10 buyin stop loss and no more than that and ensuring that if I do have to drop back down I drop back down with 30 full buy ins for the lower level so for this case to try $20NL I need $500, but the very first thing I have to do is prove I can make money at $10NL before I even think of anything higher.  If it turns out I am highly successful cash game player but I will return to what has been my bread and butter over the years, tournament play.  Lightning pointed out in his comment that recalled a tournament we both went  deep in one time and how he has railed me on Bovada and he has seen me be successful and it's true. He has seen me be successful at tournaments.  Part of me thinks I should give up this and simply go back to what I know best, but there's a huge part of me that wants to be able to do this, that wants to be able to grind cash games, to show that I am NOT just a one hit wonder at tournaments.  A huge part of me wants to be able to play the poker that has less variance, but up until this point although cash games are supposed to have less variance than tournaments I have not seen it. If even after readjusting back to athe I find that I continue to lose and if this bankroll drops down to $100 I will then return to being exclusively a tournament grinder once again.  I won't look at it as surrender I will simply look at it as playing to your strengths.

That's all for now.  It's quarter to three and time to get on the tables for today's session.  Time to get to work.  I won't give up, I won't  surrender, and one thing's for sure, I'll see you at the tables.

5 comments:

  1. I just finished my long comment on your previous blog entry. Glad to see you are getting back in the saddle. Please read over what I wrote. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FD, I told you that players get loose and crazy after 10pm at every level I've played at. Late at night I've been down 4 buy-ins from one table, and also up 10+ buy-ins on one table, all from a few hours.

    A friend of mine months ago lost $170 in one night at 10NL and won about $190 the next day; all from crazy lagtards late night. Drunk players I'm guessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more comment, you don't have to be one or the other, you can play both cash and tournaments, especially online. I am primarily a cash game player, but I do mix in the occasional tournament. From time to time, if there is a day with lots of good online tournaments, I would dedicate that day to just tournaments. It can be hard to play both cash and tournaments at the same time, but with practice it gets easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been given very good advice till now. With regard to multi-tabling bankroll requirements, while they may seem counterintuitive, Pokerdogg is spot on. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been trying to pick out one or two aspects of my game and work on them, lord knows the choice of areas for improvement are bountiful. I play online a couple of hours most everyday and live as often as I can. I have noticed that sometimes there are players in my game whose style I just can't handle. Whether their game is just that much better than mine or I'm not in the mood to deal with the variance some maniac lighting money on fire creates, whatever it is it's not profitable for me. I have taken to getting up and walking away. There is always another table, especially online. If you are grinding for profit I think getting up and moving to an easier table is the right move, especially if you are multi-tabling.
    I was at the Flamingo and saw a guy (the kid) walking around the room checking out stacks. There was an odd dude at my table who had a big stack, we were playing 2/4 limit and he probably had 400 on the table. The kid sat down at our table for a few rounds. When the big stack left and went to 1/2 nl the kid followed him. The next day I was playing 1/2 nl and I was the big stack at the table. The kid bought in for a hundred. I was in LP and the kid was in EP. I have QQ, I call a small raise and by the time it gets back to me the kid and the guy next to him (with a similar stack to the kid) were all in. I have both of them covered. I muck the Q's because I figure I am a dog to one or both of them. I know the kid is going for a quick double up but I have no clue as to his range. The other dude I have been playing with for awhile and he is pretty solid. I also know that losing that pot would tilt me. The kid wins the pot, and a hand later cashes out and goes to another table (2/4 limit). Right then I decided that should he come back to my table I was walking away cause I just didn't want to deal with him. For what it's worth I would have won the pot, the kid had 99, the other guy had AK and didn't hit. Was it the right fold by the book? Probably not but it was the right fold for me at the time. I happily played a few more hours and added a few more $$'s to my stack.

    ReplyDelete