Friday, December 11, 2015

I Should Consider Myself Fortunate

First and foremost I would like to welcome the one, the only, the indispensable pride of Texas, the one and only Coach.  If you check my Good Reads blog listings you will find 4 different blogs written by the coach himself.  Glad to add you Coach as your blog has always been interesting reading and to my readers I highly recommend his as well.

Let's talk about tonight or should I say today's session which by the way for the first time I grinded for 12 hours over 2200 hands and after about 1800 or 1900 hands I was down over $80. All the profits since I started grinding on the 3rd gone in one night, I mean really??  I ran into a lot of crap today.  Flop 2 pair only to have the board for flush, flop a set  only to have somebody hit a two outer for a bigger sett, flop trips and have somebody hit a two outer on the turn to give them a full house, flop a full house only to have my opponent flop the identical full house. Really?? FML!!  Which of the poker gods that I piss off today??  I was trying to play through. Could not seem to make a bounce back so I decided to play one more hand and it was going to be my last hand of the night so I was a bit loose with calling a 3 bet with T8s.  Actually what happened was somebody raises to $0.45 and somebody else called.  I had T8s and I made the call as well the next person folded and then somebody who plays $10NL who is on Twitter and I won't mention his name because he may not want his name to be mentioned  and that will be fine he 3 bets to  $2.45.  I believe there was one person that made the call and I made a very loose call I totally admit that, and the only reason I did it was I was done playing for the night, but I turned around and flopped a flush.  Had to sweat it out that a fourth suit didn't come or I would have lost the hand but when I won the hand I immediately sat in all the tables again.  I mean if that was going to be the start of some sort of rebound I couldn't leave then.  It was less than an hour I would estimate and I pick up four and a half buyins back and ended up dropping $35 for the day and it's probably the best $35 I have a lost  because it could have been so much worse.

To say I made mistakes on hands tonight is an understatement. I started to do a hand review and just in a couple of tables and only a couple hundred hands I probably pulled out $9 in errors.  I didn't even bother going on from that.  What was the point I screwed up on more than one occasion.  Yes I took some rough beats, but I made mistakes.

There are times I wish I could use some sort of tracking software on this site but of course it's not possible and also it's prohibited, but  there is one area I am unsure about in these cash games and that is calling raises with suited Broadway Card.  KJs, QJs, KTs, QTs specifically.  

Ended the night with $286.19 in the bankroll. I also earn 63 points which exceeds my average of 40 a day and I made silver status for all of this month and all of next month.  Every single APP point is worth 4 wsop points. 100 wsop points is equal to $1 and I already have $1.09 that I can convert into cash.  I will do so at the end of the month and according to my estimations by the end of the month I should have another $70 in bonus cleated, $30 in points conversion, a minimum $50 in APP money, nut I will be gold status before the week ends so not sure if that will disqualify me, but a minimum of $100 in bonus money converted and cleared and possibly above $150 and another 25,000 hands played with minimum projected earnigs of $125 so ending December a bankroll of a $500 minimum.  After that the next $160 earned gets withdrawn then I will need $200 in earnings and promotion bonuses to make the step up to $20NL.  Target date for this is March 1st, 2016. 

I am continuing to tweak my starting hand chart that I have come up with and as a matter of fact I tightened it up a little going into tomorrow.  Not back to the way I was certainly and nothing is going to stop me from being the aggressive raiser that I have become, but there were just certain hands I was just not comfortable playing in early position and completely felt that they belonged in middle position and consequently hands that I was playing in middle position that I feel are late position hands only.  I think I have tweaked it to what I consider to be the perfect approach as far as starting hands goes.

That's all for tonight. I'm so tired I can barely keep my eyes open but I really loved getting the 12 hours in and getting over 2,000 hands played, that was absolutely awesome.  The $35 lost brought my earn rate down to  - 5.5bb/100.  Even though I have always stated 5bb/100 is my goal if I'm honest with everybody my secret goal has always been 8bb/100.  I'm going by Black Rain's blog where in one of the entries he stated that the average $10NLplayer will make 4bb/100 and an elite player will make 18bb/100 so if you double what the average makes and cut in half what the elite makes it pretty much comes out to 8bb/100.  I am in no way shape or form going to try to say I'm an elite player but I definitely want to be above average and 5.5 is above average, but just barely and it's not as much as I've been secretly hoping for.  Of course, I have just under 10,000 hands played and the earn rate will fluctuate wildly until I have at least 50000 hands played at the tables.  Notonly that, if I can stop myself from making errors as I did tonight that will only help matters.  Take care, sleep well, and I'll see you at the tables.  


3 comments:

  1. I made a very loose call I totally admit that, and the only reason I did it was I was done playing for the night,

    If you think you have a chance to win a big pot with a disguised hand, fine, go ahead and call. But please don't tell me you called because it was the last hand of the night. I'm surprised at you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok Mojo I admit it. I was down over 8 biyins at the time, I had had enough, I was frustrated, & I said to myself another $2 isn't going to make a damn bit of difference. I guess maybe it was a form of tilt that I played that hand because under normal circumstances yes I may have called the $0.45 but there is no way in the world I would have called the $2. I guess the frustration of the session got to me and obviously I let my discipline slip momentarily. Obviously it's something that I need to make sure does not happen again and to make sure that even though I was fortunate that it worked I need to learn from the experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a form of tilt. If you get a chance, read Tommy Angelo's Elements of Poker. He talked about all different kinds of tilt in his book.

      Delete