Friday, January 15, 2016

New Tournament Approach


I adjusting my tournament approach and beginning Monday, I will no longer be playing any rebuys of any kind.  After playing 9 of these I realized that players that keep getting another chance over and over and over again, it's only logical and natural that sooner or later they're going to be successful what they're trying to accomplish.  I find that the rebuys are less than poker and more like bingo.  Quite honestly I should have realized it before I even started playing them, but I really didn't stop to think about it and I did want to give them a try. 

So beginning Monday I will be playing the 4:45 p.m. $20 deep stack.  This tournament, like all the others, has 10 minute blinds and starts with $4,000 in chips instead of $2,000.   There are no rebuys, no re-entries, and there are no add-ons.  It's a tournament where once you're out of chips you're gone and it has I believe a $700 or $800 guaranteed prize pool and it also gets less than 100 players I'm pretty sure, but I have to double check that on Monday.   Almost all of the tournaments $20 and under are rebuys and there are only three from what I've seen, not counting the $1 and $2 garbage tournaments, that are not.  At midnight there is an $800 Gtd, that is a $20 buyin, but only has a $2000 starting chip stack.  There is the 4:45 p.m. Deepstack which I've already mentioned that I will be playing, and at 9:30 there is a $20 bounty tournament with $10 going to the prize pool and a $10 bounty on everybody.  I ended up playing that night but did not cash as my AA was all-in preflop against JJ and the jacks flopped a set.   This also has a $2,000 starting chip stack and although I played it this evening just to try it out and see what it was like it's not something that I want to play in the future.  

My tournament style although aggressive, is a considerably conservative approach and I find that longer blind levels and higher starting stacks work best for me. Now all the tournaments have 10 minute blind levels and there is nothing to be done about that, but playing a tournament that has twice the starting stack as the other non rebuy ones is definitely the tournament I should be playing.  $20 sounds like a lot of money for somebody with my bankroll, but in actuality my tournament cost will go down unless I decide to play that midnight tournament which I do not see that happening with only a $2,000 starting chip stack so instead of spending $25 to $26 on 3 tournaments each day I'll be spending only $20 on a single tournament per day.  I think overall it will be +EV for me.

I ended up losing about $14 in two rebuy tournaments today and another $20 in that bounty tournament and I still only lost about $12 today which all things considered is not too bad.  I decided to group the rebuys and that single bounty tournament as miscellaneous over on the right hand side of the blog.  I really hate seeing it in red and I'm utilizing another miscellaneous form of poker to try to get that back in the green eventually and I began that tonight.  After my regular session was over I decided to play some PLO8, $0.05 and $0.10 blinds, with a maximum buyin of $10.  Table didn't last all that long as I didn't even start playing in that game until after midnight and I lost a few dollars and then there was just me and one other person at the table and I decided that I would play some heads up.  On one particular hand I ended up losing the rest of my $7 stack and immediately bought in for another $10 as I felt I had an edge on this rather aggressive player.  So now I'm in for $20 and I let him take the lead as he constantly did, doing a lot of check calling because I knew he would bet and the times that he checked which was a rarity all I had to do was fire out and the pot was mine.  After was all said and done I ended up a little over $10 against this particular player and I was able to reduce my miscellaneous losses by $10 and change.  Sooner or later I'll get that miscellaneous category back into the green and out of the red.

Now for something my readers may consider just a little bit silly, but after I was done with the PLO8, I noticed my total bankroll was $666 and change.  Long time readers will know I tend to be somewhat superstitious and there was no way on gods green earth I was going to end the night with a bankroll like that so I saw a $1 headsup SNG Super Turbo and jump in that fast. I did not care about the dollar.  I was either going to win a dollar or lose a dollar and my opponent ended up beating me so I ended the night with $665 well worth taking a loss in order to avoid the bad luck of 666.  Yeah I know what some of you are thinking, but there are certain things I am just not going to be able to sleep with and having a bankroll of three 6s is one of them lol.

I ended up making about $10 in the cash game at $10NL and lost about 2 or 3 dollars at $20NL.  That puts me at over 4000 big blinds earned or 40 buyins in earnings at $10NL and it covers around 32,000 hands.  I guess I can say that I have proven myself completely at that level now so now its just proving myself at the next level, $20NL but the problem is I'm not rolled high enough with the $200 missing from the bankroll to play $20NL exclusively.  For that I want 30 buyins or $600 and until that $200 is replaced back into the online account or be readily available for a deposit at a moment's notice I have to consider my bankroll to be what is actually available and ending tonight that's $465.  It's enough to play a single $20 NL table if I'm in a tournament or even two tables in a four tabling situation, but that's the most I should be doing at this point.

So that's going to end things for this weekend.  I'll be back at it on Monday and I'm going to be playing from 4 p.m. to 2 a.m.  I tried doing from 12 to 12 but that's just not giving me enough sleep and although I have the caffeine pills it's causing my body to crash every 4-5 days.  Besides, the later I start in the day the less interruptions I get from my roommates.  So Monday I will be back at it again and until then, take care everyone, and I'll see you at the tables.

2 comments:

  1. If you are profitable at the NL $10 and $20 tables why add PLO? You don't really have the bankroll to be playing games that you don't have the experience in. My guess is you are probably getting a little bored so mixing it up helps with that? Just an assumption not sure. Your goal is to play 1/2 NL live so continue to focus on that. You obviously are getting better the more and more you play so just ride it up. I think the 1 $20 tournament a day is a good idea to mix it up and it works towards your goal of playing NL instead of starting all over again in PLO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can either stop playing rebuys or play tighter until the rebuy period ends. Of course there will be times that you'll be knocked out by a weaker starting hand that's willing to gamble but there will be times that you will build a decent stack!

    ReplyDelete