Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Comment Responses

Coach said in a comment:

Thanks for writing up the cash session, and congrats on the online comeback. I have a question - on the flopped flush, when you figured had at least A or K of spades, so you'd wait it out, why did you decide to call the river bet after the 4th spade did indeed hit?

The board was all low everything below a queen and knowing that him flopping a set was indeed a possibility and the fact that I had not shown any strength regarding that all spade board made me believe that he might not have put me on a spade at all, and for all I knew he could have been betting out a set. When he checked the turn I really started thinking along this line even more so that he just might not have a spade afterall and that with the bet amount compared to the pot size, I felt I had no choice but to call.  The $45 bet almost seemed like he was being cautious at that point and while I knew the ace or the King of Spades was a possibility, I felt a call in that spot was correct

Pokerdogg said the following:

Q3 suited hand, fold preflop. It is a terrible hand to have out of position in a multiway pot. You will almost never have a nut hand, and if you flop a flush draw, it is likely going to be expensive because the pot is bloated and multiway.

Are you quite sure about that  because the raise was small I believe $7 and I was in the big blind which means I had $2 already in so its only costing me $5 to call.  The preflop raiser goes to $7, three callers the small blind folds plus my $2 in there we are looking at $31 in the pot costing me just $5 to make the call giving me 6 to 1 odds. Is it still a fold under those circumstances??

The AA hand, just bet out. I don't like the heck raise or check call lines. When you are heads up against a shortish stack, just play straight forward, you are losing value by trying to get fancy.

Yes, I totally realized I screwed that one up, but tell me something.  Supposing I bet out $20 or $25 and the little old lady flat calls me.  Then the third club shows up on the turn as it did, what's you're line at that point?

The AQ hand (at least I assumed you had AQ) brings up some questions about your bet sizing.  I think the bet sizing issue originated preflop. If you are in a typical loose passive game, you can pretty much predict the pot size on the flop based on your raise size on the button. In this case, you had around $115 in your stack, a $15 raise OTB would probably result in a $45 to $75 pot (depending on what the blinds do, and sometimes you get one fold out of the three limpers). You know you will end up with a stack to pot ratio of around 1.5 to 2 (assuming you were the short stack). Personally I would have preferred a smaller raise say to $10. The pot would be around $30-$40, and allows you to make a smaller flop bet say $30, and get the rest in on the turn. 

Hmmm although I generally yield to your experience I have significant issues on this one.  The hand was KQo and I was on the button.  The preflop raise size on that table was anywhere from $7 to $12.   I am most comfortable at 5x and as a matter of fact that's my standard preflop raise in my online games.  If there are four limpers even if my standard in a live game is a $7 raise preflop I have to add an extra big blind for each of those limpers which would in fact equal $15 if there is $8 in the pot and I pump it to $10 which with the $3 from the blinds that's $21 even if the blinds fold it's instantly going to give the first limper nearly 3 to 1 odds to make the call and if he makes the call the odds only get better for the remaining limpers.  Are you sure that's something I really want to do.   A head like a cue is definitely going to play better heads up and if my standard is 5x or a $10 raise then in fact my preflop raise probably should have been at least $18 instead of $15 dollars.  I actually thought when I first started reading this section of your comment that you were going to tell me that I should have popped it up to $22.

I have been wondering about your daily swing online. It seems to be fairly large relative to the type of style I thought you have. I wonder if that is due to the larger than usual preflop raises. Do you typically raise to 5 to 7x BB preflop?

My style has definitely opened up from what it once was and the fact of the matter is I am positionally raising hands in my online cash games that I never would have dreamed of 6 months ago.  I will give you an example.  Supposing I'm playing in a $20NL game which has $0.10 and $0.20 blinds and there are three limpers before me and I'm in the cutoff or on the button with Q9s or A8s or 77, or KTo I'm instantly going to pop that to $1.80.  That is my standard raise of 5x the blind which would be a dollar adding a big blind for each of the limpers which would be a $1.60 and then I add an extra big blind to the preflop raise for good measure.  For the month of February at $20NL I am down over four buyins, but I can tell you beyond the shadow of a doubt that it just simply seems that I am constantly running up against a wall at this level.  There's no explanation, no rhyme or reason for it, but I am continually running into set over set, or AA or KK being cracked, or just other unfortunate situations.  In fact at this level I run into it so often it absolutely amazes me that I even am even showing a profit overall at the $20NL level albeit that overall profit at this point is only $50.

Taking the day off from the online grind for Thursday.  I'm meeting "Alan" on the Strip and he's going stake me to another $1/$2 No Limit cash game session.  I am then meeting my friend Joe aka Man in Black down by down by Harrah's at at around 6:30pm.  Grab a bite to eat and then we're going to play in the Linq tourney at 8 p.m.    hoping you to have another performance like I did last week and would be really nice if I could make this a weekly thing lol.  That's all for now.  Take care everyone and I'll see you at the tables.

7 comments:

  1. No offense, but on the deal where there were four spades on the board, there is absolutely no way he has a set. With that board, the set (vs. bad players or good) will just want a show-down. You didn't want to fold your hand, and I understand that, but come on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey man, can you tell us what the action was like preflop and post flop when you won with Kc5c and you flopped a flush. It was an online hand that you posted a picture of in your last update.

    Also if you go and play on the strip can you give us more updates and pictures on your twitter, I always find it cool when the rounders are playing in vegas lmao

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't say my thought process was correct I was simply admitting what it was at the time

    ReplyDelete
  4. Q3 hand:

    Yes, I am absolutely sure about folding to a small raise. If you only had $7 in your stack, then yes, by all means call with the 6 to 1 odds. The problem is, you have money behind. The pot is bloated, $35 when you see the flop. What do you hope to flop? Top pair, no kicker? Flush draw? Top and bottom, or bottom 2 pairs? The best you can hope for is a flopped flush, which is hard to get paid when you are out of position. If you flop a flush draw, it is going to cost you most of your stack by the turn. Just don't play hands that is hard to get paid, and easily get you in trouble, in worst possible position post flop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AA hand:

    I have a feeling the little old lady would have shoved if you had bet $20-$25 on the flop. If she smooth called, there would be ~$75 in the pot, more than what she has in her stack. It is an easy shove on the turn. If she turned flush, you have 10 outs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. KQ hand:

    Actually, raising bigger may be a better option also. The point I was trying to make is planning your hand out based on stack sizes, number of players in the hand and table tendencies. Your stack size was kind of awkward on the flop, and this was due to your raise size.

    Do you find your online raise size to be bigger than norm? Usually people raise from 2.5x to 4x preflop unless it is a reraise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. FD says..."There's no explanation, no rhyme or reason for it, but I am continually running into set over set, or AA or KK being cracked, or just other unfortunate situations."

    Well, those are the ones that stick out in your mind. I have been running into a bunch of 1 and 2 outers on the river the last few days, trust me I know it can be painful. What we tend to ignore are the 95% of the other hands that, when played well, buffers the swing. Just keep in mind your raise sizes. It gets more important when you move up in stakes.

    ReplyDelete