Monday, May 23, 2016

Profits Don't Always Equal Enjoyment

It's definitely official. When it comes to online poker I just get bored with the monotony of doing the same thing for hours on end. I have grinded for 3 days now and tonight after about seven hours in a planned 10 hour session I was so utterly bored I just couldn't play anymore. I just wasn't in it so I called it a night.  In 3 days between No Limit Hold'em cash games, PLO8 cash games, and rakeback I have earned $109. I should be excited to play. I've made $109 in 3 days If could make that every 3 days I'll be at $2k inside of 2 months, and tonight it was insane for me to quit. I was down $40 and the cards turned, things started dropping my way and I eliminated that $40 loss and was up $4.50 and was still bored out of my skull. 

I have talked about the need for variety in my online poker in a a previous blog post and I think that's what starting to happen to me now. Playing live it's so different. I can sit there day after day after day for hours and hours on end and love and absorb every second of it, but online I can barely get past 3 days of doing the same thing. I don't know what to do, but I know I have no choice but to keep on doing what I'm doing, but I've got to find a way to get excited about this because if my heart is not into this it will affect my decisions at the table and that I cannot allow.

I've considered the possibility of mixing up my games, but the problem is I'm not sure if that would be the best financial decision to be made. if we assume that I can earn 9bb/100 over the long term playing no-limit Hold'em cash games at $10NL and a slightly lower rate at $20NL, I have no clue what my earn rate could be at PLO8. I've added a PLO8 table on a couple of occasions when they were only three No Limit Hold'em tables currently active, but in doing so I only made about $4 at the tables.   However tonight after I had closed everything out it was around 11:30 p.m. I fired up WSOP again jumped in PLO8 game for maybe 20 or 30 minutes and made another $16. Omaha has very high variance and I understand that the high low variation the game reduces that variance, but still I have no clue what kind of earn rate I can expect. Over the long run it could be very low if I decided to switch out a NLH table with a PLO8 table permanently that could be a poor financial decision. I don't particularly like Omaha all that much but it does give me something different to do from time to time and so far so good as I'm up over $20 on it, but it absolutely drives me insane when I end up with only half the pot and still end up losing money in a hand.

I even considered playing some tournaments in the early afternoon and then don't get started on the cash games until about 6 and then play for only 6 hours. Unfortunately the problem with that is as we all know I will make an expected earn rate whatever that may be, and the more hands I play the more I will make per day so cutting it down to 6 hours, it's going to take me that much longer to get to my goal and as far as the potential tournament idea I passed on that because I have absolutely no desire to any longer play a $1 tournament for three hours to make a whopping $12 and that's only if you win it.

I'm hoping the boredom was simply a one day thing that I went through and that ending the session early will get me past it. I fully plan on attempting to grind at least 9 hours tomorrow from 3-12.  I got over 1700 hands in over 7 hours played today and I'm thinking 9 hours should still get me damn close to 2000 as long as I don't take too long of a dinner break.  Maybe cutting it back an hour a day may help. 

After the $90 session on the 21st I've lost $9 in the last 2 days. The corrections that I made to my game did not reduce the swings as I had hoped for as yesterday I was down $50 before making a comeback and only losing $13 in the session and today was down $40 and ended up making a little over $4. In each of these cases you're talking about 4 and 5 buyin swings, but then again the argument could be made that had I not made the corrections it would have been even worse. There were so many hands and situations I was folding that I had not been doing so previously and I'm quite convinced that had I not made those corrections that $13 loss from yesterday could have easily been a $20 to $40 loss and the $4 win from today probably would have been a loss on the day just how much is anybody's guess. 

So tomorrow I will get started on the tables at 3 p.m. and if I get antsy to play before that I'm going to hold off and wait until 3 p.m.  I will play PLO8 if there are not 4 NLH tables active.  People might ask why not just fire up a $20NL table if there are only three $10NL tables going and my answer to that would be I am definitely waiting until I have 20 buyins at the $20 level before adding in one table of $20NL at a time. That's going to wrap things up for tonight. Take care everyone and I'll see you at the tables.

4 comments:

  1. Purely a personal observation but hopefully I can put this into perspective. Remember when I mentioned that "not everyone is cut out for online poker"? And I offered my reasons for not partaking in the activity? It is the complete opposite for me with live tournament poker. I love the shit out of it. I feel happy and in the zone; I don't care if I'm short stacked, big stacked, cash or don't cash (okay that might be stretching it; LOL) but to me live tourney poker is absolutely THE Shizznit. To do well, to continue to pursue, self-educate, etc, RTC, there has to be drive and motivation. Grinding online the way you're doing it sounds like it is worse than pulling teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FD, Patience is your biggest leak or weakness. Hang in there it will get better. Again are you able to work to help grow the roll? A simple yes or no will do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zin, FD had mentioned in the past he can't work.

      Delete