Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Stuck On A Seesaw

The title of this entry explains the entire month of July so far.  I have been stuck on a virtual seesaw. July is in fact a losing month thus far, but not a huge amount of money.  The two worst sessions have been a loss of ($86.50) and a loss of ($61.61) at the same time the two best sessions have been profits of $58.83 and $52.75. Overall it's a loss of ($44.41) just shy of 4 and a half buyins for the month so far, but this is the way the sessions have gone for the first 9 sessions in 11 days as I did not play on the 2nd and the 11th.

($35.42)
$22.52
($86.50)
$52.75
($17.59)
$20.31
$2.30
$58.83
($61.61)

This July downswing covers ($44.41) in losses over 23,517 hands, but is it a downswing?  What is a downswing truly?  Is it a certain amount of buyins lost?  Is it losses after a certain amount of hands?  Is it the amount of bad beats that you take that leads to overall losses over a span of time?  The truth is I don't know what the real definition is.  Some people may say this is just negative variance that I'm experiencing and others may say I'm in a downswing but a very minor one considering the amount that is involved. Maybe it's just called seesawing and it's neither a downswing nor is it considered negative variance and it's just another aspect of cash games that I am not yet familiar with. I don't know maybe the very word itself is subjective and like a lot of things in poker if you asked 100 people you'll get 50 opinions on one side and 50 opinions on the other. The only thing I do know is that whatever this is called sooner or later I'm going to come out of it.
 
If you take the month of June when I got started on June 9th on a determined cash game grind I had a 4 day stretch where I lost ($60) but other than that the month was steady consistent increases, but yet I start July with a seesaw effect so whatever it is you want to call it I'm currently in it. I am still showing overall profits for the month because I have cleared $40 in bonuses and will be clearing another $10 1 with today's session and I have also accumulated $23 and daily rakeback so I suppose I can be thankful that I am actually showing some positive numbers even if they are not strictly at the tables.

I've decided to step up the grind from 12 to 14 hour sessions. I've been wanting to do this by playing a couple hours later each evening, but I never seem to be able to do so. By the time 11 o'clock rolls around I really don't want to go an extra two hours. I know this is going to sound insanely silly but I refuse to play a 13 hour session simply because I view thirteen is an unlucky number lol. Go ahead and laugh, I know it's silly and I'm even laughing at myself over it, but for some reason I simply can't get away from avoiding the number 13 at all costs. Maybe there's nothing to it, there probably is nothing to it, but then again I look at it why even test it so right now I have been playing 12 hour sessions, I refuse to play a 13 hour session, so a 14 hour session it is. Since I am up at 9 a.m. every morning I decided why not get started at 10an and simply put in an extra hour in the morning and an extra hour at night.

So today's session started at 10 a.m. this morning and will go to midnight or a little bit past obviously if I'm in a hot Rush of cards at midnight I'm not going anywhere. One reason I am doing this is so that I can take  a couple of extra breaks during the day if I want to and still guarantee myself an average daily grind of 2500 hands. I have found that the 3000 hands which I was shooting for at this point in time is not always feasible. The main reason is because since I am currently only playing $10 tables at this point and not a mix of $10 and $20 tables there are times where there are not 6 tables available to me. Sunday was a classic example of this as I was never able to get on more than 4 tables at any one time after 6 p.m. It seems like it was just a slow night, but with a daily goal of 2,500 hands my original monthly goal of 40,000 hands for July has been now been increased to 50,000 and since I've already got 23,000 played it looks like I'm going to blow past that which will be a good thing as I am trying to get that extra 2% in daily rakeback by making Platinum Status this month. An extra 2% only equals approximately an extra $15 a month in a rakeback, but I will take any increase that I can get while the getting is good.

Bankroll this month has been as high as $563, but the last  session of a ($61) loss brought it back down to just above $500. I must say I was looking forward at having a fix on six the six being a $600 bankroll, but the last session brought things back to reality, but that's okay. I'm going to keep grinding and keep playing through this and sooner or later I'm going to get back into some consistent profits, I just hope it's sooner rather than later.  So until next time everyone, take care, and I'll see you at the tables.

6 comments:

  1. Why refuse to play a 13 hour session? Jeezus. Are you superstitious or something? It's bad luck to be superstitious...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now wait just a minute if it's bad luck to be superstitious then if I'm superstitious I have bad luck but if it's bad luck to be superstitious and I'm not superstitious to bring me Good Luck that's being superstitious anyway so being superstitious is bad luck whether or not I avoid the 1 or not right?? Hmmmm I think I confused myself lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trick is to count the hours using binary so there is no 13. This is why computers don't suffer from bad luck.

      Delete
  3. You can always stop 5 minutes before 13hrs, a 12:55 minute session.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Secret...

    12 hours 59 minutes 59 seconds

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey man, great progress you seem to be making with the NLH I just had a question or two though with your approach. On tweeter I think you said you played only up to $4/8 in various places around the USA, so why are you so sure you can make a good living playing $10/20 all the way to 40/80 without having a sample at those games live.

    If 99% say the rake cannot be beat at 2/4 fixing limit texas hold, do you think they might have a point? Perhaps with the rake being so high you can beat the game, but for probably a very small amount it might take you a year or whatever to move up higher. Is it worth it?

    I ask because of the fantastic winrate at the no limited you show. Alysiaching said that she doubts your math skill and not your ability but doesn’t math = ability at limit????
    Great work anyway bro!

    ReplyDelete