Saturday, September 3, 2016

August 2016 Recap And September Begins

August 2016 which was looking pretty dismal somewhere in the middle of the month when my account balance dropped to $294 from the starting balance of $481 turned around once I abandoned the cash games completely turned out to be the best month that I've had since I started playing on WSOP. The final numbers show just under $500 earned in online tournaments. ManInBlack was covering 50% of that action so my earnings in that total was $249.77. Live tournament earnings of $434 were generated from two $65 tournaments played at the Golden Nugget. Cash games for the month after starting out $157 in earnings ended up being ($16.40) in losses, however I don't have to deal with that anymore because I won't go near them again at least not online. 

There were also $591.98 in withdraws and although I did well avoiding withdraws since April, August was a special month and quite frankly after the nice cashes at the Golden Nugget I decided to treat myself. I filled my refrigerator and freezer with food, I went clothes shopping where I bought 3 new pairs of jeans amongst other things, I utilized some money to treat myself to some delivery orders, I utilized some money for using Lyft to get from here to there and I enjoyed the earnings. Some people may say I was wrong in doing so and if that's their opinion they have the right to it, but I just wanted to do something a little special for myself and the profits definitely helped me do that. I started out the month with a balance of $481 and I ended it with a balance of $617 with a low point of $294 so the actual bankroll increased over $300 from that low point, so I have no regrets over anything that was spent this month.  

So my total earnings for August counting everything was $728.37.  If we count the money that ManInBlack got as a 50% staker the actual money earned from tournament play alone without considering anything else was over $900.  And that wasn't even a full month since I started out in cash games. Suffice it to say if I were you ever make an attempt at anything else again I should seriously have my head examined.  I can't say why I do well at tournaments and hideously atrocious in cash games. Maybe Michelle is right and my tight strategy it's good for tournaments but horrendous for cash games, but in the end I guess it really doesn't matter. When you find what you're good at do everything you can to utilize that talent and make yourself better. I do know I like the relative safety net that tournaments provide over cash games. I watch the Vlogs of Trooper and Poker Krout not to mention Rayz Rayl and these guys when a bad session can go through 3 or 4 buyins at $300 a pop. You take your typical $125 tournament once you lose, that's it, you're not going to lose any more than that and the return, especially up top, is definitely going to be equal or close to what a cash game player can realistically expect. I guess in the end it doesn't really matter the why, all that matters is doing what you're good at and even more importantly what brings you the most happiness.

So that brings us the first two days in September which has not seen a lot of online poker in fact on the 1st of September I played a couple of live tournaments. I met up with Man in Black to pay him his last $40 that he had coming from August profits and I told him that I was planning on playing the $45 Tournament down at the Luxor at 10:30 a.m.  We talked a bit and decided that we would go in on a 50% deal again for that particular day. He gave me the $40 back plus an extra $5 and with my $45 we decided that I would play two $45 tournaments that day. The 10:30 a.m. at the Luxor and the 3 p.m. at the Golden Nugget.

The tournament at the Luxor only got 10 players and I arrived seven minutes late.  That tournament  would be a one-time thing  because of the fast climbing blind structure, it's not something that I would return for again. There was one guy  to my left who amassed a huge chip lead but did so from calling all-ins with things like Q3s and getting very lucky. The top two were getting paid with first place taking $201 and 2nd Place taking $191 and when it was down to three of us Mr. Chip Leader decides that he would offer a deal we would give $10 to the dealer me and the other guy would get $50 a piece and he would take first place money. Without being completely rude about it we basically told him to take his deal and stick it up his ass. I couldn't tell much about the other guy but I knew I was ten times the player Mr. Chip Leader was. The story gets a little better. The other guy ends up going out with Mr. Chip leader busting him and has about 43,000 in chips to my 7000 and remember second place was getting $109 and first place was getting $201 and he says "well if you just want to call it now I'll give you $110." Yeah, you read that correctly, he offered me an extra dollar. I looked at him with the total of wanting to backhand him across the mouth  of which I am proud to say I resisted that urge and remind him that I was getting $109 for just sitting there. I then said to him "boy I'm going to chop you down like an oak tree." He then says well give me a number so naturally I gave him a number of $150 which I knew he would turn down and that was good with me. We played it out and Mr. Chip Leader and his 43,000 and high-end attitude ended up in 2nd place and I ended up winning it. I tossed the dealer ten bucks and walked out with $191.  I did not cash in the Golden Nugget tourney and finished in 10th out of 35 players so me and Man in Black both ended up with a $50 profit on the day.

Both the tournaments I played in had 5000 chip starting stacks and I had said originally that I did not want to play that type of tournament, but since I plan on playing at Colossus definitely in 2017, and since Colossus starts with 5,000 chips I decided that I should probably best utilize my time between now and then and adding tournaments that have that particular starting chip stack. I know a 35 person tournament has very little to do with the 20,000 + players Colossus will get, but the fact of the matter is that if I am going to play Colossus, which I am, I need to play in as many tournaments as possible that have the same starting chip stack. I'm not thrilled that $45 tournaments almost all come with a 33% juice to it, but as long as you you have an edge over everybody else that's playing the juice become somewhat irrelevant. Yes it takes a few dollars off the top line, but other than that it has little effect certainly nothing that's going to stop me from showing a profit over the long run.

The $5 tournaments on my daily poker schedule are frustrating because although there are 8  potential ones that I can play each day sometimes only 2 end up being played and sometimes none. It is really very irritating because I think I could do very well in these things since they only get 20 to 30 players and if you end up winning it's worth a quick $50 but it sure doesn't help matters if they don't go off as scheduled. The main problem is that these $5 tournaments and even the $10 tournaments are just regular MTTs and rarely seem go off.  They do not have a guaranteed prize pool which is what most players are looking for on WSOP.  although they are on the schedule I am not including them in what my ABI is since so if you go off. By not doing that it's a win-win situation because if one does go off it'll automatically degrees the ABI slightly, but by not including them and the figures showing on higher ABI then what might actually be if I am able to plan wanted to at least $5 tournaments it will help me with my ABI/bankroll management ratio.  Under the current schedule my maximum ABI is $7.06 and beginning play today where I started with a bankroll of $693.88 that gave me a bankroll with 98 ABIs. I'm trying to work that up towards and past 200 I'm trying to work that out towards and past 200 ABIs and then once that is accomplished I can add in or swap out some tournaments and replace them with the $10 Deepstack Rebuys down the road a bit.
I put in a full day today with 15 tournaments planned, but as expected several of the $5 ones did not end up going off and were cancelled. I have five planned days off this month, but am going to be having some shortened days because of doctors appointments. I have appointments on the 7th, 8th, 12th, and 14th interfering in the poker schedule and it's really irritating. However starting next month there should only be 3 main doctors that I will be seeing that being my primary care physician, a pulmonologist, and my pain management doctor so I guess I can put up with 3 a month even if it does interfere with the poker schedule. 

Online tournaments to start September has not gone well so far and I find myself beginning the month in a 1 for 14 slump going 0 for 10 today. Runner Runner flush, bigger pair losing to smaller pair, flush being beat by a larger flush, and the list goes on. Nothing out of the ordinary of any other slump or downswing a person might be in and whether it's tournaments or cash games the same old process remains tried-and-true, you just have to play through it. Fortunately the live profits and the $26 that I earned on the 2nd plus an extra $1 in misc shows me up just under $10 for the month even with the 1 for 14 slump.  There is no one in on the tournament action for September.  ManInBlack was willing, but I declined because if I am going more months just on 50% earnings it will take twice as long to achieve my objectives. 

No poker tomorrow as tomorrow is one of my planned days off, but I will be back at it on Monday. I won't be doing too much extra curricular activities for September and October with the exception of playing some live tournaments if I am showing relatively good earnings as the month progresses, but every extra dollar that I have I am setting aside because I have a friend who I will refer to as "Sherry" coming for a visit in late October and obviously I want to be able to show her a good time and have a lot of fun since it's going to be her first visit to Las Vegas. Depending on how things go in September and the first half of October I may tap the bankroll for a withdrawal just to add some extra cash available during her visit, but we will see how the tournament grind for the next month-and-a-half goes. That's going to wrap this one up for now. Take care everyone and I'll see you at the tables.


Bankroll:  $627.41
Goal:  $5,000
Progress:   12.5%


7 comments:

  1. Flushdraw, don't get to cocky and greedy. Good luck in September.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give you an extra dollar to chop? Do guys like this really exist? What a dick!

    Congrats on turning things around. Best of luck the remainder of this month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprised you think playing in a tournament with 5,000 starting chips is any kind of practice for the Colossus. The Patience Factor of these low-level tournaments is usually 4 or 5 (and sometimes less!), whereas the Colossus will be around 30. This is because of 2 hour blind levels instead of 20 minutes and because the blinds creep up instead of zoom us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I'm not thrilled that $45 tournaments almost all come with a 33% juice to it, but as long as you you have an edge over everybody else that's playing the juice become somewhat irrelevant."

    Flush... do the arithmetic. If you're hitting a 45% ROI on a 10% juice online tourney, 33% juice will reduce your ROI to single digits. When you consider your skill edge is further eroded by the fast structure of the cheapo Vegas dailies you'll do well to break even.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You might find this useful: http://www.tourneytracks.com/ter/

    ReplyDelete
  6. FD you still alive? Long time since last update.

    ReplyDelete