Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Friend Or Foe I Really Don't Know

Apparently Caleb decided that he had a few things he wanted to say to me so much so that he decided he wanted to submit it twice, but I figured just posting it once would be sufficient, but nevertheless I guess I should respond. I'll take each point and try to remember not to tell him to take a flying leap in the process. Caleb's opinions will be in bold print.

Caleb said:

Tournaments have a shit ton more variance than cash games do. A great tournament player can have a losing *year* playing a full schedule, while it would be extremely unlikely that a great player will have a losing year playing cash games.

That is your opinion and perhaps that is your experience. My experience however is completely opposite. I could post a list of screenshots, I could tell you about the times and multiple times where I have flopped a set and lost eight out of 10 times with it, I could tell you all sorts of stories but it would be meaningless because you've already got your mind made up so nothing that I say will make any difference, but the fact of the matter is with me tournaments are the steady money. Don't get me wrong I have my downswings like everybody, but overall they have a much more steady increase on the graph.

You seem to think that the only reason for your losing in cash is because of variance. Not only is this incorrect, it is also a fairly lazy attitude to have. You likely have leaks, and may even be -EV in these cash games, so to simply handwave away your results as mere variance is going to cost you money in the long run if you don't start working to improve your game.

You Sir know nothing of my game, but I have had an eyewitness account of what has happened to me in cash games, I have had an eyewitness account of the hideous beats that I have taken for stack after stack after stack after stack, but immediately you assume there's something wrong with my game and furthermore when it comes to poker I put in a lot of hours scratching and clawing for a dollar or 2 so you may call me many things, but lazy is not one of them!!

I also detect a bit of a false confidence that borders on arrogance. When you claim that "I will never be outplayed," you are not being confident, you are being naive.

That's right and I'll say it again I will not be outplayed I will only be outdrawn. That is a fact and it is not arrogant it is confidence because if I don't have that thought process in my mind when I'm walking into a live tournament I might as well turn around and walk right out again and the same thing goes for online, I better have that confidence in me or I better not play that day.

This somewhat reminds me of Mike Matusow from several years ago when he made similar proclamations. Well, the game passed him by and it wasn't until recently that he started to work on his game that he started to have success again.

Oh joy you're now comparing me to an ex-con druggie. Thanks for the great compliment and take a long walk off a short pier while you're at it.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way as, I, and I'm sure everyone who comments here on your blog are sincerely rooting for you to succeed. I just wanted to stress how imperative it is to continue to work and improve your game.

Well geeze just why in the world would I ever take something like this wrong. Let me see you have called me lazy, arrogant naive, compared me to an ex-con druggie, and you have no idea of the actual details of the losses, the wins, or anything else for that matter, but goodness gracious how could anyone ever take something like that wrong.  When I first read this I just chalked this up to another hateful troll because Lord knows I've got a slew of them out there, but in your last paragraph you actually have the statement that you are rooting for me and if you are that's very appreciated it really is, but unless you have been beside me this entire time and seeing what I have experienced then as far as I'm concerned you can take your assumptions and shove them in a variety of internal places.  You assume a lot and you know what they say about people who assume.

1 comment:

  1. Given the hours put in at the both the virtual and real felt, I don't think anyone could accuse you of being lazy, but with that schedule I have often wondered when you find time to study.

    ReplyDelete