Thursday, June 15, 2017

Slow Progress And A Major Opportunity

The progress is going slow, but it is going in a positive direction for the month of June. Entering today's action earnings were $31.70 over the first 14 days however this was not 14 full days of play. A full day  typically for me is 8 to 10 tournaments on average per day, sometimes a little more if I hop into a private tournament or two whether that be a pay tournament or freeroll. I only played a full day 9 of those days. On the 1st, 7th, 9th, and 14th I only played in 5, 1, 1, and 3 tournaments respectively, and on the 4th I took the day off completely. So those for partial days would act up add up to a full day so in the first 14 days we can say I played 10 full days of tournaments. The results we're $31.30 in total earnings after the first 14 days and 10 full days of Poker which comes out to $3.13 per day. The reason I point this out specifically is because of the point I want to address. 


"Personally, winning $22 in 9 days is entirely to much effort for me FD puts in full days of grinding so far for the month with a profit of $22 (less than 2.50/day.)."


The above was a portion of a comment that was left on the post I did two entries back. And I focus on this because I know for a fact this is the attitude of many of my readers and it's really an attitude I just don't understand. Being a tournament player is so different from being a cash player in the fact that when we hit we hit for a amounts that increase whatever we're making per day by a factor of four or five in one fell swoop. Take last night as an example yes I was only making about $2.50 per day, but I finished 15th out of 235 players in a $3.30 NLH $500 Gtd tournament. If I had won that tournament it would have paid $136 up top so all of the sudden with a single win I'm now making 4 times more per day than what I started the day at. This gives the opportunity to play tournaments that cost more and winnings and the higher price tournament increase that amount per day maybe six seven or eight times of what it was. So I can go from making $2.50 a day to $10 a day to $40 a day to $100 a day and more.  It's a progression, but in order to take advantage of this progression you do have to be very patient about it knowing your times are going to come. 

At the end of play yesterday total earnings were  $31.30 so that's an average of $3.13 per day since I have calculated 10 full days where I played. Today was a decent day going 346 with two final tables .  Only made about 14 bucks but that's okay  these are micro tourneys  and when they pay 18% of the field  only the top three again in anything  relative.  However, during this time I have gone 28 for 78 in the regular tournaments with 10 final tables, but no wins yet. It is an ITM percentage of 36% and an ROI of 45%. Total earnings are now $46.74 over 11 full days of tournament play. That puts it at $4.25 per day. As you can see it is increasing, slow but sure, but it is increasing.  All in all I'm very satisfied with the results thus far for June. 

Another point I wanted to hit on is why some readers notice that I will change my approach from time to time is because of the slow progress that tournaments can produce. I have to admit during the month of June it has happened again. All of a sudden my mind started going through what can be done to increase the pace.  Cash games and SNGs came to my thoughts and each one of these is not my strong point yet a very large part of me was thinking "what happens if we give it one more try" "maybe this time it will be different" "maybe employing these along with the tournaments could increase this pace". These thoughts entered my mind just as they had so many times before. The only difference is this time I'm not going to fall victim to these thoughts. That has been the problem in the past I'll start adding cash games or think I should switch over to them for a couple of weeks and I will get hammered at it because of the increased variance and cash games vs tournaments. Or I'll add SNGs as I have done previously only to play 36 of them and come out absolutely dead even. What's the point. I know what kind of a player I am I know what I'm best at so no matter what the circumstances are, no matter how slow the earnings seem to be increasing comma I need to stay the course and at least on this particular occasion I am proud to say I am doing just that.  I did not fall prey to these thoughts racing through my mind. We take our victories any way we can get them no matter how small they may be.

Now for the major opportunity that has been presented to me and actually this is the second time it's been presented to me in as many weeks. Somebody that I have known through blogging for a few years now I finally had the opportunity to meet in person when he got in touch with me and asked me if I would be interested in being staked to a tournament in the Grand Poker Series at the Golden Nugget. Standard staking agreement meaning I have no financial liability should I lose and he was willing to split any earnings 50/50. His name is Rhett, that's his real name as he told me there was no need for an alias and two Sundays ago we met for the first time at the Golden Nugget. He immediately struck me as a very decent likeable fellow and I thoroughly enjoy the conversations that we had the opportunity to engage in. We each registered for the tournament and tried to do what we could do.

On level 2 I was able to double my starting stack of 15K to just over 30k when with one limper and blinds of 50-100 I raised to 500 and two players to my left 3bet me to 1500. I could have called here and trapped him on the flop, but that does not come without certain risks, or I could have 4bet a moderate amount, but something told me that he would call a shove. I shoved he thought about it for about maybe 10 seconds and called with AKo. A queen High flop and nothing more on the turn and river put me at over 30k.

Levels 5 through 8 was like walking through a dead zone. During the course of those two hours I only received 4 playable hands and that was it. Although the blinds and antes weren't extraordinarily large they still cost my stack a good portion.  During a couple of the breaks the one and only Tony Bigcharles joined Rhett and I outside of the Grand Room where we chatted just a little bit as Tony was in the Omaha8/Stud8 tournament I believe it was. Like most in the poker community Rhett knew of Tony through blogging. Talking with Tony is an interesting experience as anyone that has done so will know. When Tony gets on a subject he has a lot to say and sometimes I swear he doesn't take a breath in and only exhales lol. 

Levels 9 and 10 I picked up some pots, but they were only small and finally by the time I got to level 13, I was just dwindling and dwindling when I finally shoved with a one gap suited connector with about 6 big blinds left. The small blind called with 2 overcards which considering what I had wasn't difficult to have and if that was the end of the story I would have been very happy with this as although I was a 3-2 to underdog, at that point in the tournament I was willing to take those odds, but unfortunately I also ran into the big blind who woke up with AA.  There was actually an eight on the flop and I had life, but the river paired the queen that was also flopped not hitting any players and giving the AA hand top two pair and the pot and I was out.

I felt bad that I wasn't able to make money for us, but Rhett seemed satisfied with my performance and asked me right then and there if I would be interested in doing another stake in a couple of weeks. Obviously I'm not going to say no to this generous offer and that time has come and tomorrow Friday June 16th, 2017 I will be playing in event 27 of the Grand Poker Series at the Golden Nugget. The same tournament as last time. A $150 buy-in with a 15K starting stack and 30-minute levels and a delicious-looking structure. Obviously no one can know what's going to happen, but like last time I will play my heart out and do my absolute best although while texting I told Rhett that since he was the one that was doing all of the risk monetarily that if I do end up cashing this time I did not want it to be a 50/50 split that he definitely deserved at the bare minimum at least 60% of the take if there is any take to take home that is.

That's going to wrap this entry up.  it's now 10:36 p.m. and I want to be heading to sleep by midnight so that I get at least a solid seven or eight hours shut-eye and be primed and ready for tomorrow. I will be doing updates after each level on Twitter. My Twitter handle is @flushhdraw for anybody that's interested. So that's going to do it for now.  Current bankroll is $146.74, but who knows, after tomorrow it could be significantly more.  Maybe not but to get rid of me it will either take a bad beat, a cooler like running Kings into Aces or an extra long period of card deadness. I can be out drawn, but I will never be out played. Take care everyone and I'll see you at the tables.


Bankroll:  $146.74
Goal:  $800
Progress:  18%

2 comments:

  1. "[...]I'll start adding cash games or think I should switch over to them for a couple of weeks and I will get hammered at it because of the increased variance in cash games vs tournaments."

    I really don't know where you got this from, but I've seen you mention it several times now. Tournaments have a shit ton more variance than cash games do. A great tournament player can have a losing *year* playing a full schedule, while it would be extremely unlikely that a great player will have a losing year playing cash games. The above quote also suggests that you seem to think that the only reason for your losing in cash is because of variance. Not only is this incorrect, it is also a fairly lazy attitude to have. You likely have leaks, and may even be -EV in these cash games, so to simply handwave away your results as mere variance is going to cost you money in the long run if you don't start working to improve your game. I also detect a bit of a false confidence that borders on arrogance. When you claim that "I will never be outplayed," you are not being confident, you are being naive. This somewhat reminds me of Mike Matusow from several years ago when he made similar proclamations. Well, the game passed him by and it wasn't until recently that he started to work on his game that he started to have success again.

    I hope you don't take this the wrong way as, I, and I'm sure everyone who comments here on your blog are sincerely rooting for you to succeed. I just wanted to stress how imperative it is to continue to work and improve your game.

    ReplyDelete