Friday, August 18, 2017

Home Again To Stay

I am back home again online poker speaking. I withdrew $160 to bitcoin which I am waiting to hit my checking account on Tuesday and I am back on WSOP again. I have come home and never to leave it for a different site again. Somebody from Twitter  who's  privacy I shall protect, offered me a PayPal loan so that I could get some money on WSOP and I have to wait till Tuesday and to this person I just want to say thank you so very much.

I just could not stand ACR anymore, but one thing I did do was make me appreciate WSOP all the more on a variety of levels the least of which would be deposits and withdrawals to say nothing about the game play nor availability and circumstances. All day and night long on Tuesday they never got one table of $10NL full ring going and they only had two tables of $5NL full ring going and never could get a third one started. Oh they had plenty of 6-max, but their full ring games were non-existent unless you wanted to play $25 or $50 tables. Their tournaments with the amount of people they pay out are freaking ridiculous.  When you compare the two sites and a $350 guaranteed prize pool on WSOP is paying more up top than a $500 guaranteed on ACR there's absolutely no question where I want to be back at. I am back on WSOP to stay. The fact that I mentioned anything or even had any knowledge about the cash tables being available and not available that obviously deserves an explanation.

This goes back to the fact that I recently purchased a new HP Stream laptop through my Fingerhut credit. As I was cleaning out the photos I had on my old laptop which I now use as a backup just in case anything were to go wrong, I came across a screenshot I had taken and although I didn't look at the precise date it must have been back in December 2015 or January or February 2016. The screenshot showed earnings of about $165 at $10NL on WSOP in 10,000 to 12,000 hands. I went back and looked at the posts that I wrote during that period of time and came across these these little gems.


12/30/15
"15,692 hands played and total profits at the $10NL tables of $274.62"  

1/8/16
"that brought me to over $308 in earnings at $10NL and thus I have now earned over 3000 big blinds at this level"

1/15/16
"the last 8 sessions I show earnings of $213 covering 13331 hands in a mix of $10NL and $20NL"

1/31/16
"table earnings at the cash games in total was $355.17"


Why after those two months did my cash game results go down the sewer. What was I doing back then that I stopped doing or that I changed??  What was different between then and almost every attempt since then. It doesn't make sense so I went into a deep deep think-tank about it and I realized what had happened was I had received multiple points of advice about playing cash games and although I was doing quite well, since cash games was not my primary forte, I went with what I felt were the thoughts and opinions of my more learned peers and I started doing things that went completely against what I felt I should be doing a not be doing and the results over the next nearly 18 months more disastrous. I won't get into details because I know people at WSOP read my blog and I will be back at those $10 tables again, but suffice it to say it involves completely opening up my range, building up parts with draw instead of playing it cool taking free card and calling certain hands raises with certain hands that completely goes against my instinct such as AXs lower than ATs.  For whatever reason, and I may just chalk it up to pure temporary insanity  with a bit of longevity to it, I continued on with this from February 2016 and for whatever reason never realizing that the changes in my game because of the advice I got and took was what put my cash game completely into the sewer.  

Don't even ask me why I never made this connection before, don't ask me why that sporadically for the next nearly 18 months every attempt at cash games was a freaking disaster and I never put two and two together before now, don't even ask me these questions because I don't know the answer. The only guess I have is that I guess maybe I'm just somebody that needs to see something in front of me before it clicks. I guess I just never thought about it and part of that reason was probably because of a lack of hand reviews on my part which should be something you're always doing when losing to find out why you lost and I have not done that much. The bottom line is the advice that I was given was dead wrong and my style of play is what works for me. It would probably be considered quite unorthodox by many of my readers who are regular cash game players and so be it. Their style of play works for them and mine works for me. The question was what would happen if I try some cash games going back to my old ways.

Before I left ACR I tried some of the cash games and I was an overall winner and about 3,000 hands believe it or not. Yeah yeah I know it's a small sample size, but it's the first time I've been in overall winner in 3000 hands and 18 months. Even though I and took a small loss at $10NL, but the primary reason for that was a few big pairs that got cracked but more importantly having Queens full of jacks against an opponent in who had flopped quads and that cost me over a full buyin, but overall going back to my style of play did turn a profit. 

I left ACR with $160 because of probably some foolishness on my part. I was hoping to build that amount up a little bit so I played a session of $0.40/$0.80 Stud8 and never saw so many draws in my life not come to fruition and I ended up dropping about 50 bucks. That was slightly painful but I decided I was taking that $160, and getting the hell out of Dodge, and going back home where I belong on WSOP. Once the money hits my account on Tuesday I will pay back my $75 loan put the rest of that transfer on WSOP and essentially even though it's not on there now I essentially started the evening of Wednesday August 16th with $150 online. It is a far cry from the thousand dollars that I had planned on waiting for, but I am glad that I did it. Being back on WSOP I am more convinced than ever I can turn this year around to a half decent profit considering the first seven and a half months have provided ($6.20) in total losses combining online and live play and $21.26 in those stupid Bitcoin fees which I will never have to worry about dealing with again. Some people may say that I never should have left WSOP in the first place, but the fact of the matter is sometimes you never know just how good you have things until you venture somewhere else.

So , I'm back home on WSOP, yada, yada, yada, but what to do now.  The minimum cost for the tournaments for me would be $6 a pop not exactly a great idea to do with only $150 which cannot be replaced until the very earliest October and I have no desire to go the next month-and-a-half watching TV and maybe playing some games on my phone on a daily basis with nothing else to do. This has to be protected. It's like John jawanda said about a big stack in a tournament it should be nurtured and treasured and protected or something along those lines that's not an exact quote, but the same thing can be said about my miniscule $150 bankroll. A plan is most definitely needed.

The smallest non-turbo non satellite tournaments now available at WSOP are the $3 deepstack rebuys which cost me $6 each so I can't play those just yet. Going back to my old style of play in cash games to be quite frankly I don't have the nerve to take $157 and risk playing $10NL without proving myself step by step so that's out. Sng's I'm not interested in because the only NLH  SNGs that seemed to go off with regularity are turbo so forget that and the other option is PLO8 SNGs which only have 8 minute blinds and do not go off enough to make it worth my while so that's out. So, what does that leave me. I hate the thought of even uttering these words, but that leaves me starting out grinding $2NL cash games. Yeah, you read that right, $2NL cash games.......... 

To be continued..........


6 comments:

  1. The beauty of poker is that it is such a multidimensional game. It is also the problem with poker advice. The advisor can not know your strength and weaknesses and so has really no idea how their advice will fit into your game. Advice also tends to be general and rarely gives a nod to game composition which can vary so widely. I think different theories and styles can help you become a winning player. The truly great players move between theories and styles based upon game/player conditions. The perfect, if somewhat extreme example is the math wizard who says on the river, I know what you have but I have pot odds to call. If you know my two cards have has your butt kicked six ways to Sunday you don't have the pot odds to call. You might have pot odds to call against two random cards, you might have pot odds to call against a range of cards, but you do not have pot odds to call against two cards you know that beat you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The NLHE SNG "turbos" on WSOP are pretty slow for turbos. And Ag, any "math wizard" as described above is no wizard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the reason many gave u advice to play looser than u or me would be comfortable playing is most who prefer online poker to live, for whatever reason, prefer 6 max to full ring, which is why theyre much looser.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I recently played two private small buy-in tournaments on ACR. In one, I had the guy all the way A-J vs A-10 ... until the 10 on the river. In another, I was short stacked and shoved A-J vs a limper. The limper insta-called with 3-3. Needless to say, I did not win that flip. Bah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha. Yeah Tony you got that one right! Except it's not "prefer" it "is" optimal online play. You need guts, balls and a good size bankroll to play cash online. Bigger buy in br for online relative to the size you would need to get started to play live. 5 buy ins live is $1500 for 1-2nl. Getting started who the hell has that right? Online 50 buyins at 10nl is what? My math is bad but my words are gooder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flushh,
    In the past I have given some suggestions on ways to increase your BR via various promotions in Vegas. In your last post you mentioned your +$50 this far for the calendar year or roughly $7 per month. You posted that your playing a 14 hour session today and it's good to see that your taking breaks in between. Why not take your $150 roll mad buy into the 3/6 limit game at Mirage for (5) $30 buy ins and play ONLY Aces & Kings in an effort to lose the hand and increase your bankroll substantially. Once the 5th Aces have been cracked, call it a day. It pains me to see you putting in all of these hours for literally pennies on the day. Would like to see you book some $100+ wins to not only increase your roll but also your confidence and financial goals. Just my 2 cents as I am trying to provide advice as a fellow grinder.

    ReplyDelete