Friday, September 29, 2017

Ready For October

Overall my cash game experiment was a success. I played them online for over a month and in excess of 25,000 hands and ended up making in the neighborhood of $70 or $80 in earnings, but with massive massive swings sometimes 5 buyins in a single session. As usual, and this was no surprise, I find the cash games very boring at times and have to have a tournament also being played in order to even remotely stay focused on these cash games. I know it doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense, but if I have a tournament going it makes playing the cash games at least bearable because without the tournament going, quite frankly, they practically would put me right to sleep.

I did prove to myself that returning to my style of play would lead to earnings. The earn rate that I made in those 25,000 hands of so was not huge, but with the fluctuations of variance it would go high then it would come down, go high, come down, go high, come down, and you need 100,000 hands to find out what your true earn rate is if for no other reason so the earn rate numbers aren't going up and down by factors of god-knows-what with every session.  I don't care for No Limit cash games, as I stated in the previous paragraph they bore me to tears, but the fact of the matter is that if I am able to earn money from doing it then it's something that I need to do because by not doing it, it's going to take me longer to get to my next goal.

I guess we should touch on that. My current goal is an account balance of $1,200. If I can obtain that then I will withdraw $600 and go see what some live play offers thus keeping $600 online which is 100 buyins for the $3 deepstack rebuys, and/or 60 buyins for the $10NL cash games, and/or 30 buyins for the $20NL cash games.  Pick one or all of the above because they all apply. Withdrawing $600 and heading out for live play will give me the opportunity, now that Autumn is here and the cooler weather is starting to come back and I actually can get out of this house again, the opportunity for some tournaments at the Golden Nugget, maybe at tournament at Aria, some $3/$6 limit Hold'em games at various places around town or just hanging out downtown or on the Strip or whatever I want to do on any particular day.

Now for some big personal news that is going to change my life for the better in a financial way. According to the lady that I talked to at Social Security, my disability payment will be increasing beginning in November by $596 going from $829 a month to $1,425 per month. This is a huge increase for me and while I know that $600 to most people per month is absolutely nothing, to me it's immense. I am getting this because I'm qualifying for the widowers disability benefit because my wife was permanently disabled as I am and we were married for over 10 years when she passed away. The lady at Social Security told me that if I had turned 50 three months later than I do at the end of October, I would not qualify for this.

Now, this does not automatically mean I actually have $600 extra per month. Because I'm on disability as you might imagine I get certain help from the state of Nevada considering I'm only getting $829 a month and I do believe that that assistance will go bye bye. The major issue as you might suspect is medical. Right now the state of Nevada pays the Social Security Premium of about$145 a month for me. Also the co-pays for my prescriptions will go from $8.25 to about $45 a month each, but the lady at Social Security told me there may be another program to check into where I perhaps could still get assistance on the medical stuff, but even if I can't, I estimate that this will be an increase of approximately $300 a month net clear and for that I am extraordinary grateful. It turns out that my late wife left me an inheritance that she never even know about it, but I'd give up every penny in the world if I could have her back in my life again. One day we will meet again.

So I have been basically taking some time off to end September and will be picking it up again starting October 1st. I ended up making a little over $100 since my return to WSOP on what admittedly was sporadic play so I'm pretty happy about it. I am doing one more final deposit on to WSOP on the 3rd of September and after that money that I want to put towards poker will be kept offline.  I am planning on putting $80 on so that I'm essentially starting October with $350 which should be more than enough for the $10NL tables and a few of the $3 deepstack rebuys each day, but I'm making a personal rule that I have to have a bankroll above $300 to play the tournaments. The key to tournament play will obviously be earnings from the cash games. Hopefully when tournaments are going bad cash games will be going good and when cash games are going bad tournaments will be going good so that for the most part I am showing steady increases.

I will not be going out anywhere socially in October because of a lack of extra available money which as I related to you should change starting in November, but this will give me the opportunity for some serious grinding. Getting started with the 9 a.m. tournament and a couple of tables of the cash games I plan on playing from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. at least as far as cash games go. I think 12 hours is plenty. If I go beyond 9 p.m. it's either because I'm either on very juicy cash tables or I'm still holding my own in the 7:30 p.m. $800 guaranteed tournament.

That's basically all of it in a nutshell gentle readers. Still two more days off from poker and then back to the serious grind beginning on Sunday. That's going to wrap this one up for now. Sorry I went so long in between entries, but I wanted to find out just what was going to happen with the cash games before reporting in on it. I will try to bring more entries and updates during the month of October as to how things are going. Until next time take care everyone and I'll see you at the tables.

Bankroll:  $350
Goal:  $1200
Progress:  29%

4 comments:

  1. Wishing you a successful October grind. The additional fixed income will go a long way and help build a savings buffer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good news both on the poker front and on the monetary situation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you put in the "work" you will obtain your goals.

    ReplyDelete